Sunday, September 27, 2026

When life changes the rules

 

Sometimes, life changes because we decide it should. Sometimes, it changes because circumstances leave us no choice. And sometimes, we think we want a change, but something internally has not really moved yet.

Whatever the reason, sooner or later we will have to adapt.

Think about something as ordinary as giving someone your phone number. A few decades ago, you might have given your home or office landline. Today, almost automatically, you give your cell phone number. In fact, some people probably wonder why you would still have a landline at all.

It sounds trivial, but it says something important about human beings: we are constantly adapting to new realities.

The interesting question is not whether our reality will change, because it will. The more important question is how consciously we adapt when it does.

There are at least three ways this can happen.

Sometimes the change comes from within.

    We become aware of something, change an attitude, discover a different way of living, or go through an experience that profoundly changes the way we see ourselves and the world. When that happens, adaptation begins with us. If I say, “I am the architect of my life”, then I also have to accept the responsibility that comes with being such an architect.

A new awareness eventually needs a new way of living. For example, if I decide that I want to live a more spiritual life, the decision itself is not enough. My priorities, habits, relationships and even the way I respond to difficulties may have to change. It will require effort, a new architecture plan. But there is something very satisfying about making changes that come from a conscious decision as the effort has meaning, it is connected to something I have chosen.

Sometimes, however, the change comes from outside.

    The world changes, circumstances change, other people change, technology changes and suddenly, we find ourselves living in a reality we did not choose.

Artificial intelligence is a good example: it is already changing the way many people work, learn and create. The natural reaction can be fear, resistance or simply trying to keep doing things exactly as before.

But there is another possibility: stop, reflect, understand what is happening and empower ourselves to respond.

The question then is not simply, “How do I adapt to AI?”. We can add: “How do I use AI without allowing it to define who I am, what I contribute or what my future should be?”

The same principle applies to many changes we do not control. Before adapting automatically, it is worth understanding the new reality and asking what needs to change in us and what should not.

Remember: “I am the architect of my life.”

Sometimes we feel that we need a change, but we have not yet understood what really needs to change, we don’t have the resources or the training.

    This is a third possibility, perhaps the most subtle one. Imagine someone who is unhappy at work and decides to look for another job. That may be exactly what is needed. But it may also be an attempt to escape a problem that will simply reappear somewhere else.

Is the problem the organization? The culture? The leadership? The environment? The lack of purpose? The way the person relates to work? Or something deeper?

Changing the workplace may change the circumstances without changing the paradigm.

This is where self-reflection becomes so important. Clarity often needs to come before action. Otherwise, we can make a significant external change while carrying exactly the same internal patterns into our new reality.

“I am the architect of my life” becomes useful once again, not as a statement (I control everything), but as a reminder that I can define much of how I understand, respond to and shape my experience. Perhaps I will need different resources or training, sometime to sit and reflect, but that is in my hands.

We cannot always choose what changes around us. However, we can become more conscious of what is happening within us while we adapt.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment