Sunday, October 5, 2014

Calculating your real age

Normally people after a while ask about my age. I got that part of my family where we really don't get old that fast. Add to that a vegetarian diet for more than 30 years and military service (yes, that helps!), and voilà, you have a person who will look at least 4 years younger.

There are things which are certain in everyone's lives, and one of them is that one day you will get old. And day by day you are already getting older and older.

Science has tried to prevent aging and people embrace anything that makes them to look and feel younger, trying to go against the inevitable.

What if, instead of trying to prevent your body aging, you focus your energy and prevent yourself to age... Let me explain: your mind, your capacity of decision, your good mood and creativity, those things and many more don't need to end just because your body is going that way.

Many years ago, in Santiago, Chile, I was going home. The train was not so packed, but there were no seats available when two very, very old women get on it. Even though their age was obvious, nobody tried to give them a seat, except another pregnant lady (please, don't blame me, I was very far from them...). But they refused, enjoying the ride and getting off a few stations later.

I have seen in my life very young people behaving like what we would expect old people's behavior, and the opposite too. I have seen men with three kids acting as a big teenager and a very young man starting a company with full responsibility.

Your real age will never be measured by how many grey hair you have or the movements of your body. Your real age is inside you - there you can be as young as you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment