Sunday, December 24, 2023

The legend of the place with no Christmas

A long time ago, there was a place in which Christmas was forbidden. The reasons were motive of a legend related to the great-grandfather of the present King.

And people obeyed, as it used to be custom of those times, to the laws of the land, but not completely… In fact, one of the rebels was the King’s own (and only) child, a young Prince who left the palace to live among the people. He found out he was good making candles, and that’s how he was living.

His love for Christmas came from a time he spent in another kingdom, that offered him a better education. Of course, there they celebrated Christmas… The Prince loved it so much that he used to stall going back home until after the festivity.

One day, the King got seriously ill. It was around Christmas time and the Prince was very busy with his business. But, of course, family is family and he left the candle production in the hands of others, while he moved in to the palace again.

When he came to see his father, he gave the healer some suggestions, which he accepted. And he started to decorate the room…

Then the corridors…

The kitchen, the place where all workers lived…

Until the palace looked magical!

He was careful in not using anything directly related to Christmas, but it was obvious.

After a few days there, exactly in the night before Christmas day, his father awakened.

My son, where is he?

Here I am, my father.

What is all these… these lights… candles…? What is going on here?

I talked with the healer and he told me you would heal better in a more… festive place.

The father got silent. He was King, and he knew what his son has done. After a few minutes, with visible effort, he looked into his son’s eyes.

You will be a very good King, my son. You know the people as you have lived with them. You know the value of money, because you had to earn it. You know the value of education, because you have studied. And I know your heart is very big…

Both men were silent for a while.

I don’t value a King for his art of war – there are others who can do that. It would be good if you knew more about politics and negotiation, but there are many others who could do that. I am glad you will be the King and… and… my only request is…

He stopped due to his weakness. The Prince gave him something to drink and the King continued.

My only request my beloved son is that… I never received a gift for Christmas. Could you give me one?

The Prince was stunned! But very quickly he got up from his chair with the intention of giving his father a gift, when the old man grabbed him by his tunic and spoke in a feeble voice:

In fact, I want three gifts…

May you give me your word that you won’t allow poverty to come into our land. At least, everyone should receive some bread and something to drink, and have a shelter.

May you give me your word that you will help the rich as much as the poor. Let them invite you for their functions and give them the present of your presence.

May you give me your word you will never let yourself be disheartened. Surround yourself with wise people, good friends and be happy, until the day you can pass the throne to my grandson.

The Prince looked into his father’s eyes, regretting now to have left him, but understanding it was for the best, and he agreed with all the gifts.

And he gave his father all the gifts and many more. And he inspired his people to do the same at every Christmas, to give three gifts to another person: solidarity, regard and happiness.


May you all have a happy Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment