Sunday, March 9, 2014

The art of concealing and revealing (The 16 celestial arts)

If you go a house where there is a friendly dog, you will normally meet three types of reactions from the dog: 1) if it likes you, then it will come, wagging the tail and licking your hand; 2) if it does not like you, then it won't make much of that, perhaps a stern eye, even a small growling, 3) but if it HATES you, it will try to bite you!

However, what about the owner? If the owner likes you, he or she can smile and make a beautiful scene of hugging and kissing, or just ignore you, because they think it will be funny to see your reaction. And if there is another person there who does not like you, it is possible the owner shows some hostility towards you because of that, even though he or she does like you.

Does it make sense?

Certainly not, but this is how we humans are. It is difficult to express our real feelings and emotions because of the many ways our network was built. We try to not hurt others and many times we ourselves get hurt in the process...

So, to live in such a complex society, we do need an art: concealing and revealing. I will focus that specifically in relation to our lifestyle and traditions or beliefs we follow.

Take the example of a young 11 years-old boy, who wants to be a doctor. His neighbor is a doctor and he is stimulated by the fact he sees the doctor's family and way of living as the perfect for him. So, he asks his neighbor how is it to be a doctor.

Now, let's imagine this neighbor, with the consent of the boy's parents, take the young man into a surgery theater, there exactly by his side, so the boy can watch the good doctor, good father and good man to cut someone else's body, sweat and get blood all over him. After the operation, with his still blood stained doctor uniform, he smiles to a now very frightened boy, and asks: "This is what being a doctor means!"

I think you get the idea... probably that boy would become an engineer and I am almost sure he would prefer alternative healing instead of going through operations...

Well, there are things from our life style, traditions, beliefs and ways of doing things that are worth to be shown to the world. You can feel proud of it and you know they will follow your example. If our dear doctor would just invite the boy inside his house and talk to him about being a doctor, probably the outcome would be different.

There are other things you wouldn't tell anyone, except those you feel would share your values. If the boy is not 11 years-old, but 16, and his parent would go with him to the same place then things would work out too.

I am vegetarian. As society changes, that is not something I need to hide anymore, but for a big part of my vegetarian life (I've started when I was 18), I had to do it. Well, you don't get social marks by coming into a meeting and say: "Hi, guys, I am a vegetarian!" I prefer to show a good health, my own smile and cheerfulness. I prefer to show others values they can relate and understand.

Now, if another person is vegetarian, then I can be very, very clear and objective about my practice. I don't need to hide; I can tell them whatever I want.

Did you get it? It is an art that will make you getting more friends and being even happier. I hope you can master that very well!



With this post, I finish talking about the 16 celestial arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment