Sunday, June 9, 2013

Do you want to be vegetarian?

I guess after the "crazy cows", swine and bird sicknesses (flues) and the recent "horsemeat scandal", many people have decided to be vegetarian, at least in those countries where these facts took place.

And if that happened, I am sure many of them - most of them - are back eating meat...

Why is that? Vegetarianism is not something you can decide just like that as it takes time and organization, courage and creativity, some good recipes and a very deep desire for changing.

Why? We live in a non-vegetarian society and eating meat is considered healthy, it means you are good financially and it is... well, normal. In fact, just before I myself became vegetarian, a couple of friends have became that and I used to tease them... So, believe me, I know all the reasons why not be a vegetarian.

If a person wants to go through that change, or any strong change like that, need to be deep, very deep. Yes, I do believe the world is on a vegetarian route. I do believe that many pressures will make people realize the value of avoiding meat in their diet, but on a personal level, your change must start from inside, from your own attitude and consciousness.

In my case, the turning point was spirituality. As I have embraced, spirituality implies the practice of vegetarianism because of non-violence and the dharma of the self. Dharma happens to be my reason, my deep reason, as it means the way I really am.

If change just happens because situations are making it happening - like the fear of eating horse meat, for instance - then it will "unhappen" at some point, making you go back to what you were before. But if a change comes from the change of attitude, then you will have an ally inside yourself that will help you to stand when the wave of change tries to go on a different way.

The reason is that if you change your own consciousness, that change becomes part of the self.

Do you want to be vegetarian not as something temporary but out of a deep realization? Work on your awareness, on your own dharma, and that will be more effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment