Sunday, May 19, 2013

How to work your ITC muscles


I just wanted to buy something quite simple, a presentation remoter. So, I started to research and after almost one hour, I really did not have it clear... Which one is the best for me, really? I had to use lots of my, well, ITC muscles to do that one task...

ITC has grown and expand in a way that created a fractal map of possibilities for any person to use it in a way both, productive and for leisure. In fact, even when you do make a good purchase and you are satisfied with that, something will bother you... perhaps a friend who got a better model or the fact you found out something that is not working.

I personally feel challenged when I am faced with any decision related to technology. I was grown up learning it and that was the first part of my professional life. Even now, I still work on software a little bit, trying to be up-to-dated to whatever is happening out there, trying to have an opinion about what is better and what is worse.

What to do? There are a few things I do myself especially when I have to make a decision on which gizmo to purchase:

  • If you are not an expert in technology, use Google abundantly. Don't forget to set the dates filter, otherwise sometimes very old information comes first.
  • To look for something, try to put in words very clearly what you really want or need. Check with friends who are in the IT area. Forums are a good source of information too.
  • Be suspicious of comments on equipment that are praising it too much - most of the technology is flawed by nature. As someone said, the only certain thing about any piece of technology is that there will be a defect. Good comments highlight the good and bad side.
  • If you can find someone who has whatever you want to buy, ask them to let you take a look. Touch. Type in. Listen. It will definitely help you.
  • In relation to investment, if it is not something you really need (but want) and if you are really not sure about it go for the cheapest thing. Ok, the second cheapest thing. Reason: you will probably have to change it for something else after one or two years...


Good luck with your own ITC muscles!

No comments:

Post a Comment