Sunday, September 4, 2022

Science and superstition: which one?

With the pandemic, many things took place at the same time and I have been observing for some time a struggle between science and superstition, a word I am using here in its higher form, in the minds and decisions.

One of the reasons science should win this battle is that it relies on experiments and those take time, while superstition is only observation, which is fast but not entirely reliable. There is also a subtle reality: the hesitance by scientists to accept that which cannot be proved; in this way, scientists and those who believe in science close the doors for many people to try to believe in what they say.

I consider myself a man of science and I prefer to check things before believing them; that’s the main reason I am vaccinated and I believed in the invisible virus.

However, we shouldn’t dismiss superstitions so easily. After all, they come from a long lineage of culture, religion and tradition, and any aspect of that comes also from observation and experiments.

I am following a spiritual path and I also believe in things like soul and God, things that are very unscientific. They also come from observation and experiments, and I experience benefit all the way.

How to conciliate both sides?

One suggestion is that both sides should be a little more open to the other as both can complement each other.

Science people could at least accept not everything can be proved even though, they exist. Let’s say we talk about theories, so there could be a category, such as IDEAS that congregate all that takes place and cannot be easily (if ever) checked.

In the same way, those who believe in things that have been taught as per their culture, religion or traditions, could at least try to open their minds for science, by trying to understand statistics, theories, experiments, and many other things that characterize the scientific effort.

I do believe when we unite these two different and valid sides of human kind, humanity will have taken a high jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment