Sunday, August 25, 2019

The eyes of a leader


In the year 86, I have met one of the greatest leaders I have ever known. Much before I heard of all theories and examples of female leadership, before I even thought about studying the topic of leadership, she was already performing it, and very successfully.

I then ask myself: what went wrong with leadership? News and social perception indicates a big lack of leadership in the world, and I guess Dadi’s method could be used to recover a bit of that.

Dadi Prakashmani was the leader of Brahma Kumaris, a spiritual university originally from India, to which I am part for almost 40 years. Her smile and energy used to motivate anyone just by seeing her and probably that is the first thing all leaders should take into account: smile…

But I would like to focus on her eyes, from which you would experience: you are the most important person in the world and I am your friend.

Her eyes used to see others’ specialties, even when they were wrong; of course she would notice others’ errors and correct them, but the feeling was that it was like a mother: I love you no matter what, but I must correct you because I want you to be the best.

Last things I could see in her eyes that could be helpful for any leader:
  • There used to be a deep calmness that could calm us very deeply, more than anything we have experienced.
  • At the same time, there was such a power; it was as if she was telling: you are going to win, don’t worry about that.


What do you see in your own eyes, leader?

No comments:

Post a Comment