Friday, January 15, 2016

Happy birthday to me…

There are several reasons for which people have been reading Harry Potter or have been following his stories in other media. For some, there is the attraction of magic and fantasy, shown in a unique way by the author; for others, it is the present possibility of personal growth described in the novel.

However, another reason is that many have identified themselves with Harry. By reading the written story by J.K. Rowling, they are mentally reading their own possible alternative desirable biography.

It draws my attention the fact that at every birthday, Harry experienced a meaningful change in his life or perspective. Starting from the first book when he found out he was not a poor abandoned weak talentless orphan he thought he was. In the last book, his birthday comes with the end of his bondage to the house where he lived and suffered. A little further, he loses his own childhood, symbolized by the killing of his owl, Hedwig, the first real birthday gift he has received.

These thoughts arise on this January 12th, since today is my birthday… twice, in the same day. The first one is obviously related to the day I was born, but it is the second one that has more impact in my life: the day I was born spiritually.

The last 33 birthdays have been extraordinary. I wouldn’t be honest if I would say something changed in each one of them… but I have no doubts my personal process of spiritual growth has been fantastic and has generated innumerable changes in my life.

I see these years as an interesting ladder I have climbed since I realized I was not the abandoned weak talentless person I thought I was. I have been learning very new aspects about myself and my connection with others and the environment where I live.

It is not only that: these 33 years add value to the 51 I am celebrating… Yes, I am stepping into the first floor of this huge 50’s building. While some friends talk about how their body is not working well or how difficult is to get work, I look at each floor as another chance for improvement. For someone with a spiritual approach, time helps in the process to get more wisdom and being a better human.

One of the reasons for that is that I can choose between maturity and old age, productivity and isolation, to learn and to stay remembering older times. I can choose BEING what I am or being influenced by what is happening according to my age.

And this is my best birthday gift, a double gift: the possibility of reflection and change that comes with this perception, without limits or restrictions.

While I celebrate, I invite you to prepare yourself to your own birthday, reflecting deeply on the meaning of BEING, implementing the changes into what is going on around you. This will give a new meaning for that moment when Earth received you as an illustrious inhabitant.

No comments:

Post a Comment