Sunday, August 24, 2014

When volunteering is more than a pastime

Many years ago, I've met a very interesting Colombian man who was a full time volunteer. Even though he had a family, he managed to get small jobs here and there, so he could keep with his mission. I was part of his mission; I went to a small village in the Choco to talk about values, as a volunteer. His spirit really impressed me. Yes, for the last 30 years I have been a volunteer in Brahma Kumaris, but, I don't have a family that relies on me...

Out of the four main functions all human beings have, to be a volunteer is the most interesting one for me, because I have never thought before I could do something to another person without a direct reward. Yes, we do need a job or something where we earn something - that is another of the four functions. But when we do something without a payback... It is as if you had a beautiful bird jailed in a cage inside you and when you go and help someone, you would open that cage, experiencing the beauty of its presence, giving happiness beyond measure. You do feel like you are earning more than in your own job.

Of course, that will only work if there is a balance with the rest of the functions, but volunteering opens your mind and awareness to the greatness of the self, because you can only give what you have; volunteering helps you to realize your own treasures and how they can support the world where you live.

I've lost touch with that Colombian, but I still remember his smile, even when he described the terrors he witnessed during the war our country goes through. I hope he is well and I hope he keeps on distributing his treasures everywhere. Our world needs them...

No comments:

Post a Comment