Sunday, April 21, 2019

Expatriates: is this a new species?

Sometime ago, I wanted to promote a program with expatriates. With WHAT???

Yes, expatriates… And it is not a new word, it has been in use at least from the 18th century, but it has got a peak in its use in the last few years, simply because there are too many of us.

Yes, I am an expatriate…

And we are not, as some people understood, a person without a country (easy to get confused for those who speak Spanish or Portuguese). Neither are we part of a different species… We are people, OK, but a good comparison would be trees without fixed roots or free birds.

Expatriates go to another country because they have a job to do – an important difference in relation to an immigrant, who is moving to stay; after the job, the expatriate individual goes back to their country or to another one, but the immigrant will stay there until the end.

Why am talking about this? Because I feel it is a very important challenge the world in general is ignoring, with thousands of people roaming the planet without roots…

Our human society is a tree society since we are prepared from childhood to have a family, a stable job, settle somewhere, etc. Uprooted humans (a possible replacement for expatriate?) go against that general education.

And that is wonderful! As an expatriate, I feel I pollinate the world by taking experiences, points of view and values from one place to another, challenging the status quo and proposing changes to the environment where I live or go.

I thank every place for their kindness, lessons or the space to grow and although I am aware one day I may have to go from this place, I know that place will stay in my heart, in my awareness and as part of my personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment