Sunday, February 10, 2013

Prioritization, such a long word...


When you go to a TM course, one thing you will learn is how to prioritize and, at least in my case, how to spell that word...!

In reality, prioritization is natural to human beings. If you want to go deep about how we work mentally, I suggest the book Thinking, fast and slow, by Daniel Kahneman, which gives a deep insight on human mind. It helped me to understand the reality: we always have a priority.

Even when we are children, we prioritize between tasks (hug mom or dad first?), objects (teddy bear or a rattle?) and even food (mom's milk or baby food?). That helps us to decide (hug mom, teddy bear and baby food) and becomes part of our personality as a whole.

But, when we are already grown-up, it is time to check how we prioritize. So, it is not that you will learn how to do it - you are going to RElearn how to do it. This time, you are going to use what I call Prioritization Criteria.

For instance, in my case, I have two basic criteria: impact and easiness. Impact helps me to give more energy to those things which are really important and that will generate an effect in my life, or in a project. But it is important for me to go easy - so, I chose things which are not so complicated, or that don't demand time. The sum of both criteria has helped me to write this blog post before posting new pictures in pinterest, for instance.

What are your criteria? Even better: which criteria will help you to do tasks in such an order that you won't feel exhaustion or boredom?

Both questions I think are important. The first one will help you to understand your own way to prioritize. The second will help to understand the BEST way to prioritize.

Your personal work will be to shift from one to another. That requires discipline, deep understanding of any tasks and appreciation for all the time you will be saving through that.

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment